HEADER PHOTO DESCRIPTION:

HEADER PHOTO DESCRIPTION: Desert Storm
NOTE: Open post and then Single Click On first Post Photo to view an album in a more detailed, larger format...

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

We Partied Like It Was 1999, Cause It Was…


"I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted." Kerouac 


Remember the Y2K hubbub? A beach at low tide is not a good place to be stranded had the "chip" in Petroleous Rex failed. Come to think about it, I think we were in Tucson at Gilbert Ray Campground, actually. So the above photo of our first full-time rig was taken around Thanksgiving on North Padre Island, Texas, a beach with sand firm enough to drive on… most of the time. Camping that close to the ocean proved a bad idea. After a couple of days, rust blooms were breaking out on our brand new Arctic Fox's frame, hitch, and propane tanks. Then the fridge quit working… and Pet Rex's chrome wheels, not to mention the allure of Beach Camping, forever lost their luster.


"Those were the days, my friends, we thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance and forever and a day. We'd live the life we choose. We'd fight and never lose, For we were young and sure to have our way."

Resort camping in Boulder City, Nevada. Oh how things change… 
Now a few selections from the pen of my "On The Road/Dharma Bum" mentor, Jack Kerouac: 

Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is ever so on the road.
Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don't be sorry. 
There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars. 
One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
Something like,
I (have) nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion. 


"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?"  Kerouac

I realized these were all the snapshots which our children would look at someday with wonder, thinking their parents had lived smooth, well-ordered lives and got up in the morning to walk proudly on the sidewalks of life, never dreaming the raggedy madness and riot of our actual lives, our actual night, the hell of it, the senseless emptiness.

About to wed my Bobbie in hot air balloons over Pagosa Springs, Colorado.

Life must be rich and full of loving--it's no good otherwise, no good at all, for anyone.



Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.

The closer you get to real matter, rock… air…  fire…  and wood, boy, the more spiritual the world is.



What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?



Well, Time Capsules are a fun diversion on rainy days. Only problem is, they always drop us off where we are… older, hopefully wiser, and trying to teach our children to never give up their dreams.  

All human beings are also dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together… 


Bobbie made a very cool Birthday quilt for Caleb…  



Pain or love or danger makes you real again....










14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Double points for use of Palindrome :)

      Delete
    2. In that case, I should have said "wow mom wow". I can always use the points.

      Delete
  2. LovelY set of pics and quotes. I like to think I live my life like most of them, or at least attempt to. All humans are prone to doubt, to question whether they've really achieved all they could or whether they took the easy road and coped out. Sure looks like you've always pushed the limits of living, even though you did stay at resorts LOL.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: the Rv Resorts… you can almost stay in a Hilton Hotel for the price…

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this post. Nice perspective on dreams. And a fun look back at you and Bobbie's "formative years." ;-) Of all the stories shared, how did I miss that you got married in a hot air balloon? Loved the Kerouac quotes. You reminded me that I bought "On the Road" about a year ago in an Amazon buying frenzy, then put it away and forgot all about it. It is now next in the queue once I finish Paul Theroux's latest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dharma Bums is good too, if you like Bohemian Rhapsody… :)
      Dodge those flash floods and Texas tornadoes, Suzanne,
      mark

      Delete
  4. We hadn't heard the story about you guys getting married in a hot air balloon, either. Remember to tell us about it when we see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes… my brother Dan, sister-in-law Elaine, friend Martha, and a Justice of the Peace. Oh, and two pilots :)
      It was really scary, and so was the balloon ride :)

      Delete
  5. More fun puzzle pieces of BCB; one of my favorite series ;)
    Great reading and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes… what will I do when the "puzzle" is complete????

      Delete
  6. "Nowhere to go but everywhere" - if I didn't have a blog title already I'd be stealing that!

    ReplyDelete

If you like reading blog posts...from any blogger...consider leaving a "tip" in the form of a "comment" to the author, lest the blog might disappear from perceived lack of interest.